Vishal Sharma, MD, MEd, FRCSC
Dr. Sharma completed his Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences at the University of Calgary and then went on to pursue his medical degree at the same institution. He completed his plastic and reconstructive surgery residency training in Calgary, which is one of the most comprehensive training centres in Canada.
Dr. Sharma gained broad-based experience in breast surgery, maxillofacial trauma, burns, skin cancer treatment, hand surgery, breast reconstruction, head & neck cancer reconstruction, cosmetic surgery, microsurgery, pediatric plastic surgery, and more. He successfully completed the Royal College examinations in Plastic Surgery and became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada.
Thereafter, Dr. Sharma pursued sub-specialty fellowship training in microsurgery and breast reconstruction at New York University in Manhattan, one of the most prestigious plastic surgery programs in the world. Dr. Sharma was the first Canadian-trained plastic surgeon to pursue a microsurgery fellowship at NYU, and worked with numerous pioneers in plastic surgery. During his microsurgery training in New York City, Dr. Sharma also participated in the most extensive full face transplant ever performed in the world. Afterwards, he completed his Masters of Education in Health Professions degree at Johns Hopkins University. The School of Education at JHU is ranked #1 by the U.S. News and World Report.
Dr. Sharma is passionate about all aspects of plastic surgery, with a special focus on the latest advanced cutting-edge techniques in cosmetic and reconstructive breast surgery.
What to Expect?
Dr. Sharma will meet with you for a consultation in the office to discuss your goals and desired outcomes. A thorough medical history will be taken as well as an examination. Measurements and pre-operative photographs may also be documented at this time. The treatment options will be discussed and an individualized plan will be developed to meet your needs. The details about the procedures including the risks and complications will be discussed. There will be ample opportunity to go over any questions that you may have. Details about what to expect on the day of surgery, and post-operatively, as well as costs for surgery, and available surgery dates will also be discussed.
Dr. Sharma encourages you to write down any questions you may have, and is always happy to meet with you again to go over any details.
• Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
• Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons (CSPS)
• College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO)
• American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
• Canadian Medical Association (CMA)
• Ontario Medical Association (OMA)
• 2015 Detweiler Traveling Fellowship
• 2014 Best Research Paper in the Division of Plastic Surgery
• Canadian Journal of Plastic Surgery - best research paper presented at the CSPS
• Dr. Peter Cruse Memorial Award
• CIHR Health Professional Research Award
• University of Calgary Chancellor's Club Scholarship
• Canada Millennium Scholarship
• Ann M. McCaig Scholarship for Leadership Excellence
• YMCA Peace Medallion
• Peer reviewer for the journal Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
• Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Day volunteer educator
• Adult & Pediatric Reconstructive Burn Surgery Medical Mission to Peru
• Member of the Planning Committee for the International Resident Leadership Summit